From: Crispin Roche
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 95 21:56:02 -0800
Subject: Reccommended reading?

Hello,

  Just thought I'd give you a couple of my favourite scifi
authors that don't seem to be in your library.

 Cordwainer Smith - The Instrumentality of Mankind & the
Rediscovery of Man

 These are two sets of interleaved short stories chronicaling the
future history of humanity and its relationship with a mutated
semianimal/semihuman underrace. Although it doesn't sound to
promising the stories are highly imaginative and, very rare, well
written.

 Olaf Stapledon - Odd John

 A very dark story of an emerging superrace and their trials and
experimentations. Stapledon was a philosopher who wrote about his
philosphies in a series of novels of various genres. Odd John is
his most "science  fictional".

Apart from these reccomendations I would like to say that I find
your libarray very interesting and will certainly take the
opportunity of perusing  it some more.

Best of luck
Crispin Roche

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Todd McMurry"
Date:          Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:27:16 +0000

To whom it may cocern, just a short note to recommend a couple of
authors you might want to check out. First, Dennis L. McKerian(please
excuse my spelling if incorrect), he wrote the Iron Tower trilogy.
Second, L.E. Modesset, The Magic of Recluce, and four other books
which link themselves to Recluce, but can be read seperate from the
each other.  Last, Robert Jordan, he makes me mad that I have to wait
so long between books, I almost have to re-read his books to update
myself when his next one comes out.  I really think he is drawing out
the Wheel of Time series.  Does he do this to make more money ?
                     Thanks for your Time

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: daz
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 95 22:15:55 -0800
Subject: Thomas Covenant

I have just finished 'The Second Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant' and decided to
search on 'him'. This is the first time i've come across this site and i
have to say
that i am impressed. I am just starting a new book 'Lyonesse' written by
Jack Vance.
It was recommended by a friend and I will drop you review of the book when I
have finished it.

Thanks, Daz (daz@easynet.co.uk)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Duet
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 95 23:12:09 0000
Subject: author homepage

I thought you might be interested in this page.

Kevin J. Anderson has a homepage at
http://www.aimnet.com/~wordfire

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Lee Merritt
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 95 00:46:42 -800
Subject: Library Reviews...

Hello,

I am basically just beginning my Web travels
and have finally gotten access through my Med School.
I have browsed your page and would like to make a humble suggestion
that you read a book by Samuel Shem titled "The House of God".
Briefly, a story about a Medical Intern at Mass. General hospital.
It is not overly burdened with medical terminology and is quite interesting.
I read it in one sitting before I ever went to Med School.  I noticed that
you seem to enjoy fantasy as I do and think that this work of fiction is
worth your time.  It will be entertaining at any rate and I am curious as to
what you think about the book.

In regard to Stephen R. Donaldson "Chronicals of Thomas COvenant;the Unbeliver"
I am a great Tolkien fan and found this to be equal in its scope and magnitude
a bit more of a "dark side" here but the strategy of Hile Troy and the
interesting
characters make this a winner.  I also found the fact that the reader is never
quite sure if the author is dreaming (post concussion syndrome) or if
these events are truly happening.

J.R.R.Tolkien
Not much to say other than his stuff is GREAT!  Even in the post-cold war era
of today.  I especially like his character developement in selected cases
as well as his overall message of tolerance as all creatues have their purpose
which one cannot always forsee (ie gollum and Gandalf).

ANyway, jsut my two cents on those authors.  Hope you'll try House of God.
Thank's for the great Myst page and Home Page.  Your work is appreciated.

Lee Merritt

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: 71554.204@compuserve.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 21:38:44 -0500
Subject: Cool page, but you got your evolution wrong

Excellent page!  We share a lot of common authors and interests.  Found
my way to your book reviews page via Myst page.  Also excellent material.
My only gripe is your cheap "evolutionary" shot at Limbaugh listeners.
Generally, generalizations miss a large bulk of the truth.  Besides, those
of us from the conservative end of the spectrum would argue that we ARE
the result of historical natural selection !

Really, though excellent content, organization and presentation.  Proving
graphics do not necessarily make a great page.  Keep up the good work
from a conservative SF fan.

[Ed. note:  To see what he's talking about, see my Robert Jordan page:
            http://www.astro.washington.edu/ingram/books/rjordan.html
            That's where the "evolutionary" comment can be found.  I
            thought my comment was both funny and true.  I still do.  ]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Robert Gasch
Date: 13 Dec 95 15:12:35
Subject: WWW Site - Thanks

Hi,

just spent an hour looking through your web site and found it very nice that
you have a big collection of reviews to offer. I would have a few
recommandations
for you:

1) If you like big space operas, check out the "Skyark" and "Lensmen" series
by E.E. Smith. They're quite old (pre-World War 2) and a bit moralistic at
times,
but make a for a good read that gives Clancy a run for his money.

2) If you like dark, mysterious books, see if you can find "The Golem" by
Gustav Meyrink. It's obscure, it's dark, it's wonderful. I read it a few months
ago (the original, in German) and was enthralled. It's got a way of visualizing
things that's hypnotic.

3) If you like big battle series, check out Gerrold's "War against the Chtorr"
series. It's not complete yet (books 1-4 are out, 5 should be out soon) , but
it's n excellent read giving a new twist to the theme of alien invasions. Made
me think differently about ecologies for which I treasure it.

4) Also, I must warn you not to expect too much of the new Eco novel. I found
it a bit disappointing. Defeniteley not up to "Focoult's Pendelum" which I
found
to be an intellectual Tour de Force.

Greetings from rainy Holland
--> Robert

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: William Squier
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 95 11:16:54 0800

Hey there.  Was just cruising through your web site and figured I'd drop
a note.

I really don't remember how I even got here, all I remember is that I
started in Yahoo searching for book lists.  Eventually, I saw something
that you had posted about the book "Replay" by Ken Grimwood.  Thank you,
I thought I was the only person that had ever read this book.  I was
lucky enough to find a copy in hardback in a used book store not long
ago.  I've gone through 3 copies in paperback till I finally found the
hardback copy.  Should last a few years.

Well, from reading the review you wrote for the sf.written group, looks
like you feel as strongly about this book as I do.  I'm getting ready to
send my last paperback copy to my girlfriend in Pennsylvania, she's
never read it.

BTW, from other things, looks like we've got common interests.  Namely
Star Wars and Macs.  Well, just thought I'd leave my .02 worth.

Otherwise, the sight looks good, but you might want to spiffy it up a
bit, looks a bit on the bland site.  Maybe just a colored background...

William

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: YLSM31A@prodigy.com (MR ROY N SMITH)

All these books in this series are available in paperback !!
Author's name:  David Gemmell
Series Name:   The Drenai Saga
Book Names:   Legend
                      The King Beyond the Gate
                      Quest for Lost Heroes
                       Waylander

     The first book-Legend- will hook ya.  Hope you enjoy them as
much as I did.

                                  Roy

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: cs911417@red.ariel.cs.yorku.ca

Hallo from Canada!  I noticed that you have read Grimwood's "Replay".  I was
just wondering how you felt about the epilogue.  It just about killed me.

It made the entire novel seem cheap.  The novel would have been better off
without it.
Dasper

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: HoP
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 95 16:52:21 -0600

Hi,

I came across your page while doing a net search for "Stephen Donaldson",
an author that I had never heard of till I picked up "Lord Foul's bane"
on a whim from the library two weeks ago (I'm on "The power that preserves"
now). I'm really enjoying the books.
Anyway, thanks to your page, I now have added at least twenty more books
to my ToBeRead list.
In return, I'd like to recommend one of my favourite series to you. It's
Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld" series. You may have read it already,
but if you haven't, then I suggest that you at least take a look at the
first book "To your scattered bodies go" and then decide if it's worth your
while.
Imagine a world, the defining characteristic of which is a river that seems
to be infinitely long and along the banks of which every human being that
ever died in our earth is reborn. And anyone killed there is instantly
reborn (as they were) at some other point along the river. Imagine further
that the famous explorer, Richard Burton decides to find the reason for this,
and goes about to do precisely that, with help, along the way, from Alice
Hargreaves (the model for "Alice" of the wonderland fame), Mark Twain et. al.
That, in brief, is what the series is about.
It's one of those series, where, every once in a  while, you look up from
the books and go "man, this -is- fun". Maybe it's me, but those sort of books
seem to be harder to come by nowadays (which is why I got such a kick
out of your lists. Some of them seem to have definite possibilities).

Thanks again.

Regards,
Hari Parameswaran

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Raenar@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 18:27:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Book reviews

Doug,

I know what you mean.  I have about 50 books on my list to read, and that's
just the ones I already have in the house.  There's another 40 or 50 I have
written down somewhere that I have yet to buy but want to read.

Ah, well, so many books, so little time.  Maybe when I get my own book
published (and I get that healthy seven figure book contract -- what a
dreamer) I'll be able to read more.

Take it easy.
Brian

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: JLBeaner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 22:48:00 -0500
Subject: Web Page

Hey Doug!

I was just browsing around, killing time at work (shh!!!) and I found your
web page.  Very fun!
I too am an INFJ, but the thing sorta borderline is maybe the J/P thing.
 Otherwise, it's the only personality test that I've found that fits me
pretty well - and I have friends that studied Psychology testing and used me
as a guinea pig! :)
I loved Myst and solved it all by my lonesome (I'm so proud- ha!).  I can't
wait for Myst 2.  I read the book and liked it, though I agree with the
emails you received that complained about it's poor editing/style.  Oh well.
Can't have it all.
I need to look at your library further.  I'm always looking for new things to
read and I agreed with a lot of your reviews (although I avoid anything
resembling horror- I have a way-too-active imagination) :)
Yup.  I have reading suggestions for ya too.  Let's see... Have you tried
C.S. Lewis's sci-fi trilogy? (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That
Hideous Strength) The last one is my personal favorite.  How about Madeleine
L'Engle's time books?  I thinks she's up to 5 in the series but the first 3
are the best.  You may have read Wrinkle in Time as a kid...
OH!  I'm sure you've never heard of Walter Wangerin, but his Book of the Dun
Cow and Book of Sorrows are absolutely wonderful.  They're sorta like
Watership Down, THE classic in animal fables (and puts Brian Jacques to
shame).  Hey- that wasn't on your list either.  Try Richard Adams' Watership
Down.  It's right up there with Lord of the Rings (trust me!) although it's
not the same sort of epic fantasy.  More like epic bunny quest for the
promised land.  But really- it's great.  I want to write a thesis on it
someday...
I read tons of Arthurian stuff, but I don't know if you're interested in it.
 Also, Judith Tarr writes some pretty darn spiffy historical fantasy.  And
there's Robin McKinley and Patricia McKillip, both of whom have produced some
really wonderful stories.  For McKinley, I'd recommend The Blue Sword and its
sequel as well as Deerskin, a fairy tale re-telling for adults (well, so
fairy tales were originally pretty scary and upsetting anyways- she called it
a fairy tale for adults.)  For McKillip, I'd say The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
is her best one.
WELL... I could go on and on but I'll try to contain myself and my
meanderings. Perhaps I will bless you with a more in-depth book list later
on... ;)
Keep up the good work on the web page and have a great holiday!

Jean

P.S.  Raising Arizona is one of my favorite movies too!      Would you buy
furniture from a store called unpainted Hufhinds??????  Well, OK then.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: NGrassel@gnn.com (Nick Grassel)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 21:03:13
Subject: Book Recommendations

As your review of Turtledove's "Guns of the South" indicated he is a
good writer. I've followed that up with the World at War series and
"Agent of Byzantium".  Look them up they are as good or better as
Guns

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Jay W. Samples"
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 96 22:33:20 -0800

Hello again Mr. Ingram

After a short while of abstaining from the Net, I have once
again come back and looked at your page. I see you have been
able to read some of the books I and others recommended. I have
also begun referring to your page for references when I am
choosing books to read. I decided, after having the book around
forever, to read Hyperion after you spoke so highly of it. I
have also checked out other books and enjoyed some you recommended,
even though I like some that you found less than perfect. A note
on Death Gate. You noted the strange anecdotes and such of Zifnab,
and there is an explanation later in the books which I hope you
find reasonable. I think the main purpose of Zifnab in this novel
is of much needed comic relief in an otherwise frightening story
of giants. Just a note from a nit-picker: I recently read the
Uplift War series and noted that you had listed Sundiver as the
third book of the series. It is really the first. I would also like
to pre-recommend a series that should be complete shortly. The series
is by a new author David Feintuch. The series is a military like
science fiction premise of a seventeen-year old midshipman thrown
into the position of a Naval captain. He must perservere and along
the way makes a terrible discovery. The books in order are:

Midshipman's Hope
Challenger's Hope
Prisoner's Hope
Fisherman's Hope (I think coming out in Feb.)

The series so far is wonderful and intriguing and is reminiscent in
ways of Ender's Game. I hope you have a chance to try some of the
other books I recommended earlier. Happy Reading

P.S. Sorry if the column width is too much. I can't get it
properly adjusted in Netscape

Jay W. Samples

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Jelly@team17.com (Jenny Lomax)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:42:39 GMT
Subject: Book Recommendation

Hi! Glad to see your page coming on. I would like to recommend a few books
all by the contemporary Scottish author Irvine Welsh. The books are all
based on his life and experiences in Edinburgh. They do include a lot of
violence and there are some terrible scenes described. A great deal of it
is based on the smack head drug culture in the poor areas in the high rise
blocks etc. O! And I have to say that the books are written in most with a
Scottish accent so some folk who aren't from the UK or familiar with the
Scottish accent may struggle but after the initial pages one does adjust.
The books are a major topic of discussion amongst the contemporary lit
groups. There has been some out cries as James Kelman (another Scottish
author also writing with the traditional dialect) won the Booker prize for
How Late It Was, How Late. The arguments for and against an author writing
with such a strong style based on gritty reality and the life as they
live/have lived can go on for an age, so all I can say is TRY IT. I don't
know whether you will be able to get copies over there, but if you have
trouble and need publishing details let me know if you are interested. Some
folk suggest reading Trainspotting first, then The Acid House, then Marabou
Stork Nightmares (which is the best, most intense, strange book I have ever
read as of yet, including topics such as drug abuse, rape, etc). I would
always recommend reading Marabou last as the books all have characters
running through that you come to hate, empathise with, turn against etc.
I'll shut up, because I can never do these books justice......
Trainspotting is being made into a film in the UK and wil be released in
Feb. I can't wait. TRY THE BOOKS!! There were interviews and stuff on
Irvine Welsh flying around on the NET so have a peek if you can.
Enjoy........Regards, Jelly   :)

Team 17 homepage:                           http://www.team17.com/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Aaron DaMommio
Date: Fri,  5 Jan 96 09:28:05 -0600
Subject: Recent reading

I hope you and Najet had a great Christmas. I got more gifts this year than
many a year as a child -- Tanya's family just gives more gifts than mine does.
One of my favorite gifts is a book I just finished by Samuel R. Delany,
called "Triton." It's a striking future society seen through a character who
can't cope with it. My theory is that the main character represents a 20th
century personality type, thus allowing us readers to understand this future.
Overshadowing the tech are the social differences, especially in gender roles.
The future is consistend and engaging, especially for a book written in 1976.
Unfortunately, I'm not at all sure I understand the climax yet (maybe a few
days' mulling will help). But the gender issues were presented in ways that
really made me think. I've taken classes about gender issues, and I thought I
knew a lot, but this book points out inequalities by creating a society where
the genders are currently equal -- after a backlash in which women dominated
men. I guess I never thought much about how our culture simply values men more
than women.

I asked for Delany books for Christmas because I recently reread Babel-17 and
read Tales from Neveryon. Babel is a great space opera and Neveryon is a
bunch of interconnected fantasy stories. Both are distinguished by being
erudite without losing any sense of action or suspense. In Neveryon, besides
the swords and sorcery action, you get a view of tribal cultures encountering
an empire somewhat like Rome, and you get to see what it might have been like
for a culture that relied on barter as it transforms to a money economy -- and
how that can affect social roles.

This is all told in terms of how it affects specific characters;
it's no dry essay.

Delany's been around a while, so you may have already enjoyed his works.
I've read some Glen Cook in recent months -- I know you like his stuff -- and
I intend to pick up some more of the Garrett fantasy mysteries.

Take care,
Aaron

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Javier_Gomez_at_NY__Legal@NYCCIP01.lehman.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 96 15:48:57 EST
Subject: Stephen R.Donaldson review

     Hello Doug:

     I am a new Internet user who just recently read your review
     of the Chronicles.  Although new to the internet, I am not
     new to Donaldson. I would not classify myself as a fan but I
     need to say that his books were a fresh air from the usual
     white bread good Samaritan that is generally encountered in
     these types of books.

     Thomas Covenant was a human being put in an incredible
     situation.  I think it was wonderful to read a book where
     the main character has some real serious flaws.

     As for this rape scene, who can say what they would do if
     they woke up tomorrow in a whole new world.  All fantasy
     aside, I would probably go into shock and freak out.  Under
     that stress who can say that they would not have done the
     same.  After all waking up in a whole new world should be
     classified as one of the most stressful things that can
     happen to someone ( second only to getting married ).

     Overall, I agree with your review. I liked the books and
     have read them all.  I am responding to your review because
     if you have made the effort to write it, I think it is only
     appropriate for me to read it and respond.

     adios

     Javier
     jgomez@lehman.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
X-Personal_Name: Seth Gunderson
From: sgunder@comp.uark.edu
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 00:40:22 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Zahn series correction.

I recently started to read the Zahn trilogy again, and noticed on your
web site that you had a rough timeline for post-Jedi time.  You stated
that the first Zahn book started about three years after Jedi, when in fact
it starts at least five years after.  If you have Heir to the Empire, you
notice that on page 3, in a discussion, the battle of Endor was five years
ago, and that's when the Death Star and the Executioner were destroyed.

that's all.

[Ed. Note:  My timeline source is from Bantam Spectra.  I guess I'm not
            surprised that there are signs of inaccuracy...]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Ben Allen
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 96 21:56:07 -0800

Hey, I'm glad to see that you've finally read 2001, but I must warn you:
Do not, repeat _NOT_ read the sequels. They are quite frankly the worst
Clarke has ever written, and, in a way, spoil the great first book.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: mon@pixi.com (Monte Merritt)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 1996 19:06:35
Subject: Another INFJ

Hello, I'm another INFJ. I've taken the test 4 times in the last 8 years,
with the same
results, so I'm definitely one. In response to your assumption that type
has to do with
one's reading preferences, my thought is: maybe a little.
I do not generally like SF,
as I do not believe they usually achieve any shaping of the soul
or cause reflection on
one's life. I say generally, because I know there are exceptions; one being Ray
Bradbury, who I do admire.
My favorites are Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving. I also
like John Steinbeck, Tom Robbins, Douglas Coupland, Paul Theroux, and Richard
Harris. I've also enjoyed Stephen King and Michael Crichton, which you've men-
tioned, but who hasn't, with their ability to weave such incredible tales?
By the way, I'm a 37 year-old computer programmer
who plans on retiring in 5 years
to write novels, with a lot of luck. Nice to meet ya.
Monte Merritt

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: tt83@uow.edu.au
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:45:31 +1100 (EST)

I just want to make my comments about a novel by Margaret Weis &
Tracy Hickman, DeathGate novels. I just finished reading the seventh
volume of the series, The seventh Gate. I think the book is great !!.
It's full of action!!. Two thumbs up for the SEVENTH GATE !!!!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: PMcVC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 14:30:16 -0500
Subject: New recommendation

I just stumbled across your page today and must admit that I was not only
intrigued (I'm an avid reader and book lover myself) but appreciative of some
of your comments as well. I would like to recommend a great sci fi writer
whom I think is worth mentioning. His name is Samuel R. Delany, and he wrote
Dhalgren (which I'm reading now - a long book that defies explanation - but
he's got a very unique writing style), Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of
Sand, The Einstein Intersection, and some others. I haven't come across too
many people who have heard of or read Delany, and I'm pretty surprised. I
found most of his books in used bookstores and that's probably where you
would have to go if you're interested in obtaining them.
Marlene (my email address is MBS13@aol.com, if you wish to respond)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Alicia L Mowlai-ashtiani
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 17:33:14 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Donaldson...

I just read your review of the Thomas Covenant series.  It's nice to see
that I'm not the only one that feels that way about the series.  Those
are the only books that I've read so many times that I've lost count...

Tell me...have you ever heard of a mailing list dedicated to the
discussion of the set?  There's a discussion group for d*mned near
everything else in the world, so there must be one for this.  If not, do
you know if there are many people that would enjoy discussing it?  I
already own several successful lists and adding one more (especially one
that I *really* want myself) wouldn't be much problem...but there's no
point in a duplication of effort if there's already one...and no point in
making one if there's no interest.

I could discuss Covenant endlessly, myself.  God knows, Donaldson has
given people enough to work with...  Let me know about any on-line
resourses you may happen to know about whenever you get the chance.

Alicia
mowlaial@ucunix.san.uc.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: rells@phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:53:34 +0000
Subject: More Simmons Books

Something to keep an eye out for -- You may recall Simmons' "Summer of Night"
This book, although King-ish, is only the basis of books to follow, each one
taking the story of one of the children from summer into adulthood.

"Children of the Night" follows one of the children who becomes a priest, and
battle with vampires in Romania after the fall of communism.  Also, "Fires of
Eden" follows Cordie Stumpf (another of the kids from "Summer") and her
adventures in Hawaii fighting the local deities' attempt to take back the
islands.

The real treat of these books is that they weave in remarkably strong new
characters, while giving only a glimpse of other characters from the original
tale.  The first book seems to be a seed from which these other books grow.

Also, the sequel to the "Hyperion" books is out in hardcover -- "Endymion"
(excuse the incorrect spelling).

I thought you'd like to know of these new Simmons books out there!

Robert H. Ellsworth
Webster, TX

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:35:49 -0600
From: Brian Burgner
Subject: black company as usual

more news from me

i keep telling you about the Black Company page i'm working on so i
figured i  would send you the address so you could check
it out if you're interested at all

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~burgner/blackco.html

if you have any suggestions or comments, please e-mail me

brian burgner

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Kevin Symonds
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 96 07:07:01 0000
Subject: Mirror Image by Tom Clancy

The web pages are great.

Just one point.  Mirror Image is NOT written by Tom Clancy.
He contributed some ideas towards it but he didn't write it.
But you are right about Clancy's books being better the longer they are

It's now 5 past 7 in the morning and I've been on this computer since
12.25am.  I'd better get some sleep better I get down to some revision

Kevin Symonds

Personal:  http://www.aber.ac.uk/~kms4
Click Magazine:  http://www.aber.ac.uk/~ednwww/Click/click.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Privalova, Tat'yana"
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 96 11:13:00 EST
Subject: Robert Sheckley--don't you know him?

Hi

I'd like to recommend to you the science-fiction writer Robert Sheckley.
His short stories are brilliant. He is quite popular in Russia where I am
from, and I wonder what it is not the same in the U.S.

If you want to reply, then use the address below, because my stupid e-mail
system often gives the wrong one:

tatyana.privalova@tri-c.cc.oh.us

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: James Park
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:12:12 -0500
Subject: Hello...

I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed your page. (I even put a
link on it from my own home page; I hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll
take it off.)

I've commented on a lot of the same books that you have, and our
reactions to some of them are very similar, I think.  I don't know
if you have time to visit or not, but the url for the books section is
http://www.amherst.edu/~jhpark/books.html. I don't give as much detail in
talking about books as you do, which is one reason why I'm including your
page as a link from mine.

Well, anyway, nice to see you.

				--James

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: smith clayton drew
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 18:22:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: BooKs and More BOOKS

Hi my name is Clayton Smith and I was wondering if you could possibly
sudjest a few series of fantasy books that I would find interesting that you
 really liked. My favrite author is Raymond E Fiest, author of the riftwar
 saga. I read your comment on what you thought of the books and to answer your
question -------I think the books get better, especially with Janny
Wurts. So I hope you give them a read and also get back to me.

Oh ya I have also read Stephen R Donaldson's stuff and I liked it ...so
since it looks like you like the same stuff I thought you could sudjest
something.

Good reading
Clayton Smith

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Catherine Osborne
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:20:44 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Just finished reading your books page...

Or part of it anyway ;)

I wanted to throw in a few comments/recommendations:

First, Robert Jordan (just kidding. Never gotten into his books.)

On a more serious note, some authors you might want to check out are
Mercedes Lackey (right now) and Janny Wurts (after the series is finished
;)

Lackey has this thing where she does trilogies which are interlinked, but
stand alone, so you don't have to wait for the next one unless you read
the current trilogy ;) The most highly-recommended one is The Last
Herald-Mage Trilogy (*Magic's Pawn*, *Magic's Promise*, and *Magic's
Price*). They're pure fantasy (don't involve technology at all, use a lot
of magic -- I like to tell my friends that I'm into horse books, not
spaceship ones ;) OTOH, they're *very* well-written.

Janny Wurts is currently writing a very creative series called The Wars
of Light and Shadow. It begins with *Curse of the Mistwraith*. It and the
second one are out in paperback, and there are three more projected (she
has said that after that, she is absolutely not spinning out the series.)

Finally, Pamela Dean's *Tam Lin* has my highest recommendation of all.
It's a lovely modernist retelling of the Scottish ballad, with
beautifully (and occasionally scarily) drawn characters and a great plot.
Enough adjectives? ;)

Hope I haven't been too repetitive; I tried scanning through your mail to
check on other's comments, but it just got to be too much ;)

Walk in peace,

I\/  Catherine Osborne                    "After great pain,
I\/  Sundancer                            a formal feeling comes."
I    cosborne@sidwell.edu                       --Emily Dickinson
I    http://www.sidwell.edu/~cosborne/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Marc J. Wagoner"
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 00:32:55 -0600
Subject: Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

Mr. Ingram,

I just thought that I'd drop this line to thank you for your words on the
internet about The First and Second Chronicles.  They brought back a lot of
memories of the story I read (at least) seven years ago while in grade school.
Since reading this story I have tried and tried to recommend it to anyone I have
met who enjoys the fantasy/scifi genre.  Moreover, your words on what we have
read have aroused in me a strong desire to re-read the series just as you have
so many times.  I'm quite sure that I'll understand much about it that I
obviously could not have gotten at such a young age when I first read it.
Nevertheless, I do think your insights on it are well said. I do particularly
remember being severly rattled by that early rape scene.  I also remember
promising myself not to put the book down.  I'm glad I made that promise; this
series remains in my memory much more clearly than the other "big" series I have
read (e.g. Asimov, Tolkien, Brooks, some by Anthony, etc.)

Let me say, also, that if there is anyone who has influenced my own writing
(poetry/prose actually) it would have to be Donaldson.  Have you read the
chapter that was excerpted from the original series and published later in a
book of short stories?  And how about this new Gap series?  What do you think?
Or have you already answered that question elsewhere in the Internet, where I
haven't looked yet?

It's good to know that I'm not the only Donaldson fan out there.  Thanks.

Marc J. Wagoner

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Tyson Vaughan
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 01:25:39 0600
Subject: The Annals of the Black Company

Doug --

I found your page when I ran a search for Glen Cook's Black Company
series. It was a favorite of mine when I first read it (the first three)
some 8 years ago or so. I recently finished re-reading it, and I liked
it even better this time. I thought that having gone through Stanford
University as an English major might somehow make the shortcomings of
the series start to glare, but in fact I am even more impressed by
Cook's work. Absolutely one of my favorites.

There are works of fantasy which are considered great in that genre
because they execute the conventions of the genre so well, and maybe
even stretch the edges of th genre. But I think the Black Company
doesn't just stretch the genre; it transcends it. It is simply good
fiction, good literature.

Anyway, I thought I'd say hello to a fellow fan of the Annals.

Can you tell me what the current status of the second trilogy is? And
whether any of the books (including the firs three) are still in print?
You indicated that they are, but I haven't been able to find them
anywhere. Perhaps I should contact Tor? I found their website.

later,
Tyson Vaughan
tv@epsno.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Chuck Collins
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 03:34:37 -0500

Howdy Doug.

Nice web page.=20

Can I suggest that you add a section about SF artists?  I think there =
are some quite amazing art works done for SF.=20

Have you ever read any of Robert Aspirin's MYTH books? The reason I ask =
is that you have Steven Brust as one of your fav authors and I find a =
lot of simularity between the Myth books and the Taltos books. Same type =
of humour even if not the same theme. Check them out.

I've been reading the Donaldson 'Gap' series as it has been coming out =
in paperback. You are in for a treat. By far the best he has done. =
Donaldson is my fav author.=20

Keep up the good work. I'm adding your page to my hotlist.=20

-Chuck

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: tv@epsno.com (Tyson Vaughan)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:47:04 -0600
Subject: Re: The Annals of the Black Company

Doug,

According to Tor, "Bleak Seasons" -- the first installment of "The
Glittering Stone" -- will be out in a couple months.  Hopefully there's
some substance to that.

Thought I'd pass it along.

Tyson Vaughan      http://www.epsno.com/tvhome.html       tv@epsno.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: ZMNT02A@prodigy.com ( ERIC KNIFFIN)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:45:07 EST
Subject: Lord Mhoram's Victory

Doug,
Hi.  My name is Eric Kniffin, and I'm a fellow fan of The Chronicles.
I'm pretty new to web-surfing, and was delighted to see mentions of
The Land.  I'm writing because I'm on a quest.  For years, I've been
trying to get someone to paint me "Lord Mhoram's Victory" (I won't
insult you by describing the painting and where it was mentioned, as
though you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.)  I've never heard
of anyone having painted it, although it seems like a natural.  I
mean, they mention a painting, so some painter should paint it, right?
  Personally, I could not paint a stick-figure of a human to save my
life.  The few people who claim to be able to paint have not read the
books.  So, I'm stuck.  If you know of anyone who has painted it, or
could do it, I'd be grateful.  Of course, I'd be willing to pay for
it.
Thanks for whatever you can do.
Eric

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: 70004.3055@compuserve.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 23:32:57 -0500
Subject: Commendation

Doug,

I would like to commend you on a wonderful page. I have read over 500
science fiction novels and after reading through your reviews I would have
to agree with almost everyone of your reviews. All of your reviews are
very well thought out and informative. The only review I would greatly differ
with is Gregory Benford's series which I thought was absolute garbage.

I just finished Endymion by Dan Simmons and it is my recommendation that
you suspend your practice of waiting till books come out in paperback and
purchase this book at your next earliest convenience. The book is
a more than worthy continuation to my favorite series in science fiction.

Another suggestion is the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove. On par
with the scope and schemes on the Dune or Foundation saga. Set in a
detailed and "foreign" future.

                                   keep up the good work,

                                                               Darren

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: vpasc@nji.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:25:56 -0800
Subject: covenant

...series, I would be the first to get a copy.  I really don't think he
matured in his writing, but changed it a little.  If he were to do the
new Covenant series, I really hope he would change back into his old
style.
	About him as an author, I think he is a genius.  He thinks of
things on such a deep level, and so many things, like the feelings of
everyone in a group, at the same time, I think anyone who would try to
emulate it would get a headache.  His ideas are very unique.  I think he
is one of the best authors ever.  However, that is just my biased
opinion.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: vpasc@nji.com

I am glad to hear of someone else who likes this Donaldson's work.  I
agree with you almost one-hundred percent about what you wrote in the
Covenant revue.
	I told my friend that Lord Foul's Bane was the best book I have
ever read, this is true, and when I lent it to him to read he got the
same response you described.  He hated it and didn't finsh it.
Personally, I think even given not everyone would like this, I think my
friend judged it too harshly, too soon.  He only got up the end of
Chapter 1 when he decided it wasn't "fantasy" enough.
	I do, however, disagree with you on a few issues.  I do NOT think
that Donaldson's writing is at all flowery.  His description of the Land
is not at all over-extensive, however, you might think that about his
detail on emotions.  I found the detail given to feelings more important
than anything else, except the characters.  In fact, that detail is what
got me hooked on his work.  It is the reason I think the Chronicles are
the best books I have ever read.  His attention to detail overall, land
and emotions, are nothing compared to Tolkien's description of the land.
 I don't hear many critics of Tolkien's work depict it in a bad way, and
his work, in my opinion, is totally shallow and pointless in comparison
to Donaldson's.  I read Tolkien's work and liked it very much, but it is
nothing compared to Donaldson's.
	Second, I disagree with you in that his new work is better than
his old.  I think he was by far better in the Chronicles.  I must admit,
I was slightly disappointed in the Second Chronicles, but that was short
lived.  While it was in no way better, it was about equal with a few more
"flowery" items.  I have read the first in his Gap series, but didn't
find it as good as the Chronicles.  If ever he were to do another
Covenant...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Roy Stanton
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 12:21:38 -0800
Subject: Stephen Donaldson & the "Gap" series

Had 5 minutes to kill so dropped this note.....

How can you bear waiting for the complete series in paperback??!!
Assuming you have yet to read any of the series,.........
..
Inasmuch as The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant introduced a writer
capable of weilding symbols and powerful images like spears, the "Gap"
series shows us Donaldson's astounding ability to blend the best elements
of the psychological thriller with cutting-edge S.F.

Deeply-developed plot, strong and evolutionary characters, exquisitely-
detailed worlds and a flair for the "human condition" underpin this
excellent Sci-Fi Thriller.   A must for all Donaldson or Sci-Fi buffs.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "GRINDSTAFF, KEVIN A."
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:47:51 -0800
Subject: FANTASY BOOKS

It would not be right of me to read and agree with your library welcome
page and not make a recomendation or two of my own.  Two of my favorite
authors are ANNE McCAFFREY and RAYMOND E. FEIST.  McCaffrey's stories
about her world of Pern are captivating in their cross use of sci-fi and
fantasy.  She also is great at making the characters seem familiar.  This
trait is shared by Feist in his RIFT WAR, EMPIRE, and SERPANT WAR series.
 Whenever I find a new book by either of these people that deals with
these worlds, I usually become worthless to anyone else until I have
finished reading them.  Try these sometime and if you like JORDON and
DONELSON you will not be disappointed.

Kevin Grindstaff

P.S.  Try yard sales and flea markets for rare books.  A few years ago I
picked up limited edition copies of LORD FOULSBANE and THE ILLEARTH WAR,
both for less than a dollar.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Neal Myerson
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 19:12:47 -0500
Subject: Death Gate Series

After reading all of the recommendations for this series, I
also gave it a shot. I have read all of W&H other books, and I
remembered starting this series when it first came out. I
thought the first too books a were abominable. I can't believe
they brought back a character from a previous series
(Fizban=Zifnab) and then rely on other world humor. I kept
saying the series would get better and it did. I though the 6th
book and the 3/4 of the seventh book were good. But otherwise I
though the series was a letdown. Very little in the series was
new or shocking.

Overall I though it was a letdown.

Neal