From: Guido Roessling
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 10:27:21 +0200

Hi Doug,

thanks again for such a splendid WWW Page!

I found that our tastes are somewhat similar, and that your
recommendations applied quite well to my own likes (mostly, at least).

Since you mention that you also like to read books by Guy Gavriel Kay,
but don't mention his newest book, I thought I'd tell you that his
latest book is out in paperback.

It's called "The Lions of Al-Rassan" and is set in Spain (at least as
much as A Song For Arbonne can be argued to be set in a region of
France).  It deals, among other things, with people of different
religions (the similarity to Jewish, Christian and Moslem Faith comes to
mind quite distinctly), and is well worth reading IMO.

Guido

## That's actually on my "to read" shelf as I type this.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: RSchraag@symantec.com (Rik Schraag)
Subject: Foucault's Pendulum

     Dear Ingram,

     Nice library!

     Since you mention Eco's Foucault's Pendulum: I am itching to tell you
     a story that will turn even Zen Buddhists into nervous wrecks.

     Rememeber Eco is on about famous people, alive or dead, carrying the
     initials R.C. (Rosicrucian)? And the chapter on the Middle East cult
     of the Assassins?

     Now, the book I read immediately after Pendulum was the book that
     inspired the fifties movie The Manchurian Candidate, starring Frank
     Sinatra, about G.I.'s being brainwashed by evil eastern communists.

     The author of the book happened to be the recently diseased Richard
     Condon - yes, R.C. A minor coincidence, but if you turn the cover
     page, there follows a quotation on the cult of the Assassins! And this
     is a fifties book!

     Mind-boggling, eh?

     What do you make of this?

     Keep up the good work!

     Rik Schraag
     Leiden, the Netherlands

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Kyle R Braget
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 11:58:29 -0700
Subject: Katherine Kerr

I am amazed that you founf the book series on Deverrey
so long and tedious.  Just for your info the series is
still under way and numbers around eight or nine total
books.  I think if you spent more time examining the
character, or even soul, developement in the series you
might find it that much more enjoyable.  The books are
not necessarily action based but rather person and event
based.  The depth and breadth of the novels compares
to such works as Tolkien's, and include a vast array
of characters to latch upon and find intriguing.  Look to
the newer series after DAYS OF BLOOD AND FIRE if
your looking for more action.  Nevyn is by this time dead and
the story centers around Rhodry.  There's alot of action,
and even a very intelligently written dragon.  Happy
reading.   -Kyle

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Helser Lab User
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 23:59:11 -0500

Hello,

This is the first time I have visited this page, but I really enjoyed it.
 I am sure I will be back often.  As an avid reader of SF and fantasy, I
need all the help I can get to find those great books.  I strongly agree
with you on Stephen Brust.  I have not read all of his books yet because
they are hard to find in Iowa(very frustrating), but I throughly love the
 ones I have.  I have one recomendation for you.  It is a series by
Raymond Fiest and Jenny Wurts(I think I spelled the names right).  It
tells the story of the opposite side, Kelewan, in the Riftwars.  I
thought these books were much better than the Riftwar Saga series.  As
proof of this, I gave them to my Mom.  She usually looks down on
SF/fantasy writing, but she loved these books.  They are:

	Daughter of the Empire
	Servant of the Empire
	and one more but I can't remember the title at the moment

The books are complete stories in themselves, but there might be more in
the works.  I'm not sure.  Keep up the good work.

				Tiffany Byrne

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Virginia Rodriguez-Wintz
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 14:11:27 +0000
Subject: Science Fiction and the like

First off, my e-mail address is "cmullins@nexus.chapman.edu."

Saw your sci-fi page. Thank you thank you thank you. Someone who
shares my opinion of Dan Simmons' brilliance.

I have a few recommendations here. Maybe a couple of books to read or
add to the page or what have you.

Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

	Fantastic book, if a bit esoteric. Very witty (kept me laughing all
the way through), and extremely absurb. Phillip K. Dick on acid and
nitrous. In a nutshell, the world in the beginning of the 21st century
is divied up into thousands of corporate franchaises....oh, this book
defies description. If you appreciated what William Gibson did you
cyberpunk in the last decade, this book does Gibson one better on many
levels.

Dan Simmons - Endymion
	You have probably already read this, as it came out last January. I
was kind of concerned about Mr. Simmons when he concentrated on
writing horror. Children of the Night and Fires of Eden where both
poor novels in my opinion. (Carrion Comfort was fantastic, as was
Summer of Night, but both stories' motif both seemed ripped off from
Stephen King - It and The Stand).
	Endymion takes place 250 years after The Fall of Hyperion, but many
of our favorites still do pop up, so ignore the warning at the
beginning of the book - several of the characters present in the
Hyperion Cantos are still around. The Catholic Church, now headed by
Pope Lenar Hoyt, is annexing all of the old Web Worlds, now that the
farcaster network no longer operates (for humans, that is). And they
are anticipating the arrival of a little girl, The One Who Teaches,
sending thousands of troops to the Valley of the Time Tombs, to
intercept her arrivals from the Sphynx.
	Guess who shows up?
	Shrike maybe?
	Definately.
	The title refers to an ex-soldier Paul Endymion. A bored apathetic
looser type recruited by M. Silenus (vile and dirty-mouthed as ever in
his extremely old age)....
	I'll stop there.
	Suffice it to say, Endymion is more than worthy succeeding the
Hyperion Cantos.

Charles Oberndorf - Sheltered Lives
	This one takes place in the near future. Society has changed a bit,
mostly in light of the presence of a new sexually transmitted disease
called hives. Prostitution is a state-run business now. The main
character is a male prostitute named Roderick Lawrence. His client is
a wealthy ex-political activist named Anna Baxter.
	This is an extremely depressing title, a little like 1984, where
every action is being monitored by the state. Individuals testing
positive for the hives virus is shipped off to a colony in the middle
of the desert in California....etc But, despite being depressing, it's
still a fantastic experience. Oberndorf's writing is extremely honest,
and we get to know the main character like a best friend.
	However, this book is no longer in print. Might be able to find it at
a local used book shop, providing they have an extensive sci-fi
section.

Anyway, love your page. If I think of anything, I guess I will include
them in future e-mails.

Thanks,
	Chris Mullins

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From JPGIB@aol.com Mon Oct  7 17:03:55 1996
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 17:03:22 -0400

Doug,
      I don't want to take up too much of your time but I would like to
suggest that you try reading another of Orson Scott Card's books called
"Songmaster".  I believe that  Mr. Card wrote this novel shortly after
Ender's Game. I found it to be a wonderful story with full of the solid
characters that Card is known for. It is a stand alone book and not part of
any series.  I think you will find it reading and recommending on your
web page. Let me know what you think.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Jeffrey A. Miller, Ph.D."
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 22:42:45 -0700
Subject: A.C. Clarke

Doug,

Shrubbery.com -- interesting!  Anyway, you have a very interesting web site
and I will bookmark it. As for Clarke, the Rama series is second only to
John Varley's Gaia, Wizard, Demon trilogy.  Where did he (Varley) disappear
to?  I read his Millennium novel and saw the movie, but it was pretty lame
compared to the trilogy.  Clarke is a consummate visionary and as he
continues to breathe he will not be satisfied with the revelations and
incarnations of his prophesies.  He has moved to what I agree are the real
premonitions for our society which are social and global-relations
prophesies.

I would argue that if you compared Nostradamus to Clarke in terms of
ability to predict the future in his writings, Clarke would make
Nostradamus look like the an Inquirer lackey.

Nice page, interesting ideas, and I love the intellectual bent of your
interpretations.  Take care, and keep it up.

Jeff Miller
jamiller@asu.edu
http://www.public.asu.edu/~jamiller

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Knowle
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:21:21 +0100

I Think that that you were wrong with your review of Robin Cooks
MUTATION , What, did you just read the back cover, or did you get your
dog to write the review

## Hmmm...which is the proper reply:
##
## a) I don't have a dog, but if I did, HE WOULD HATE IT, TOO!!!
##
## or
##
## b) Just because we disagree on a book doesn't mean you have
##    to be insulting...does it?
##
## I wimped out and chose (b).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Mike Ingram
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:08:53 -0700

Anyways, I saw your reading page.  Might I suggest the following
authors:   Edward Abbey ( you gotta read MonkeyWrench Gang,
the Brave Cowboy and some of his others ), and Ivan Doig
( lots of sheep, but good strong people stories written by a
modern western (Montana) author ).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Sam
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:16:13 -0700
Subject: Comments on Clancy's Debt of Honor

"Doug"
You might rind that if you were to read Clancy's new book Executive
Orders then the last 20 pages of Debt of Honor are important.

Sam

## Yes, but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE it!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Cristine K. Longacre"
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:48:20 -0600
Subject: Coincidence

Doug,

I ended up in your Library tonight...I like it!  In the late seventies I
had a major fit right there in the bookstore when they told me that "The
Power That Preserves" wasn't published yet.  The YEARS I waited through
those series!  But you know, some series I need a break from.
Personally, I don't see how you'll ever make it through The Wheel of
Time all at once.  I will be extremely interested to read your comments!

I read through quite a few of your comments and full length reviews.
You love all the ones I love, but hate some I loved.  I say that could
mostly be attributed to the fact that I'm a chick and well...you know!
In fact, I found you by hunting up stuff on Katharine Kerr.  I happen to
really love the Deverry series, and yet, it's one I needed a break from.

Well, thanks for providing such a cool service.  You recommended some
books I'm anxious to try.  I'll be back! :)

Cris

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: pospy@gnn.com (Tim Pospeshil)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:06:22

GREAT PAGE. I just breezed through while looking for some
information on another subject (funny how the web does that, isn't
it?) and read a couple of your reviews. I'll definitely be coming
back here for more in-depth browsing later. By the way, I read your
page dealing with Tom Clancy (my favorite author) and thoroughly
enjoyed it. I agree with your assessment of Clancy's style and
strengths, except I thought the last 20 pages of Debt of Honor were
very good. I think he set the stage adequately, it was just a shock
because most books are about the hero thwarting some diabolical
plot to blow up the White House/U.S./World etc... In Clancy's books
(Sum & Debt) Ryan prevails, but the unthinkable sometimes still
happens.

I thoroughly agree with your assessment of the Clear and Present
Danger movie. I tell anyone who will listen not to even watch the
movie--it ruined a perfectly good book.

Perhaps by now you've read Executive Orders, the follow-up to Debt
of Honor. If not I highly recommend it. It takes up the night of
the plane crash and things don't get any easier for everyone's
favorite Irish-American ex-spook.

The book with Mirror in the title... was that an Op-Center book? I
don't even remember seeing that title anywhere.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'll be back, and I'll let you know
if I find any books I think you'd like (it sounds like we have
similar tastes).

Tim Pospeshil
Pospy@gnn.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From SheilaghR@aol.com Wed Oct 16 22:02:09 1996
Subject: Another G.G.Kay book

Hi!
   I'm in the midst of reading The Lions of Al-Rassan  by Guy Gavriel Kay for
the second time.  I loved his other books, but this one stands head and
shoulders above even A Song for Arbonne.  I can't believe this guy, he just
gets better and better!  The Lions is set against the backdrop of Moorish
Spain, in the waning days of Arab influence.  As with Song, he has changed
placenames and God-names, but for the most part has left the cultures intact.

    What I consider to be the best example of the power of his writing is
contained about 100 pages into the book, where the two male main characters
meet for the first time.  The foreshadowing here is exquisite.  His
characters are powerful and multifaceted, truely the stuff of epic.
     If you haven't read this one yet, and you liked his other stuff, you'll
LOVE this...
Sheilagh R
sheilaghr@aol.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From samad@nexus.edu.au Fri Oct 18 07:07:04 1996
Subject: Tom Clancy

I agree with you, why did he do it?, I think it is because he may have
run out of plots.

I was dissapointed that some good people died.

I suppose he did what he did.
Sam

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From dkg1@primenet.com Fri Oct 25 20:27:07 1996
Subject: Did you move yet???

Saw on one of your pages a comment that you were going to move to Texas.
I was curious if you had gotten there yet; so sending you this note is a
good way of finding out if this address is still current.

I very much enjoyed the reviews that you posted on your library pages,
especially about books by Gregory Benford (That's how I found your web
site), and I was delighted to discover Greg Bear as well!

If you have the time, I would be honored to correspond with you on
occasion about some of these books and authors.

In any case, thank you for the refreshing comments on many of my favorite
books....

				Regards,

				David Gill

## Yep, I've moved and I am now living in Fort Worth, Texas, teaching
## Physics and Astronomy at Texas Christian University.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From chasrich@netins.net Sat Oct 26 21:41:49 1996
Subject: Don't write off L. Ron Hubbard because of Mission Earth

Doug,

I agree with you in many of your opinions, including your rating of The
Invaders Plan.  This serries was found on Hubbard's word processor after
his death unedited, but was published despite being unfinished.  As hard
as I tried, I couldn't finnish the series, despite driving myself through
three of the ten books.

The reason I didn't stop after the first is another book by Hubbard,
Battlefield Earth.  This book is one of my favorites.  The diference
between the two is unbelievable; Hubbard wasn't on his deathbed while
writing Battlefield Earth.  I'd suggest it to anyone.

Benjamin Jackson

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From JLWHill@aol.com Mon Oct 28 18:25:27 1996
Subject: sci-fiction

Hi, this is the second time I've contacted you and I have read your site a
couple of different times in between. I really appreciate the input, I was in
the same boat as you were as far as recomendations for good books. I have put
your advice as well as your other readers to good use-I've read Dan Simmons'
HYPERION books (they were both great) and also some Orson Scott Card
(HOMECOMING-not quite as good as Simmons, but entertaining). Planning to
check out Jordan in the future. I have not seen you mention any of Frank
Herbert's books (oops, you do have WHITE PLAQUE listed). Practically everyone
has read DUNE  series, but have you tried any of his others, some of which
approach the magic generated by DUNE?  THE DOSADI EXPERIMENT  comes to mind,
as does the trilogy starting with THE JESUS INCIDENT. He writes all three
with Bill Ransom, but this does not detract from the books until possibly the
last one which I believe Ransom finished up after Herbert died. I also wait
impatiently for anything written by Julian May, U.K. Leguinn and Sheri S.
Tepper (GRASS and RAISING THE STONES are mesmerizing).
    Enough, Enough!!  Just wanted to share and say thanks again for the good
advice!
                                                                Jackie

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From becky@aloha.net Wed Oct 30 00:50:12 1996
Subject: star wars books

Doug -- thanks for the Star Wars books chronology.  I'm trying to read
them in chron. order, & just found some references in "Jedi Search" to
events which don't seem to have turned up in 'earlier' books.  There is
reference to the birth of Leia's third child, Anakin, and also to Luke
having gone to the dark side to serve the Emperor.  Do you know if this
is covered in some book somewhere?  I can't find it.  FYI, Bantam is
publishing the following chronology in the back of its new paperbacks:
Immediately after Jedi: Truce at Bakura
3 years after: X-Wing stories (there are three)
4 years after: Courtship of Princess Leia
5 years after: Timothy Zahn's trilogy (Heir to Empire, etc.)
7 years after: Jedi Academy Trilogy
8 years after: Children of the Jedi, also Darksaber
10 years after: Crystal Star
14 years after: Corellian Trilogy
and sometime later (the twins must be young teenagers): Young Jedi
Knights (their are three of these, too, incl. Heirs of the Force, etc)
Thanks for your info & I hope you can answer my question.
Becky@aloha.net

## It may be in one of the graphic novels?  Not sure.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From PerezArthur@msn.com Wed Oct 30 03:44:48 1996
Subject: Author Suggestion

Dear Sir,
I just ran across your web site.  I have to recommend Ken Follett as a must
read author.  This one author is responsible for me going to work without a
wink of sleep on several occasions.  You stated you enjoy good long books.
The Pillars of the Earth is an excellent read as is A Place Called Freedom
(although this book isn't as long).  I have read every book this author has
written and he has always been one of my favorites.  He has just put out a new
book called The Third Twin which I have not yet read.  I have fallen behind in
my reading, so it may be a while before I read it.  I tend to read more in the
winter months so hopefully I'll work my way through all my unread purchases.
Back to K. Follett.  One book I really can't recommend is On Wings of Eagles.
This book is not fiction so you can't judge his story-telling by this one.  If
you read any of his other works, especially his later works, you are in for a
sleepless night.
Happy Reading,
Arthur Perez
PerezArthur@MSN.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Becky Sims"
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:35:28 -1000
Subject: Re:  star wars books

> Hmmm...I haven't yet read any of the X-Wing stories, but I wouldn't
> take much of the references in Anderson's books seriously.
> He name-drops so much that it just isn't worth the trouble.  Spoils
> many of the other books in the series for absolutely no reason.

Doug -- I found the book that the Anderson books kept referring to --
it's a graphic novel by T. Veitch!  I think the title is Dark Side
Rising, or something like that.  No wonder I couldn't find it!  I
guess I'll check Borders to see if I can get it, I know they carry
graphic novels.  I'm still reading the series, & I think you're
right, it is annoying to have him "fill in the blanks" all the time
when you already know what's happened, but I guess for those who pick
one up for the first time the editors probably said it was necessary.
 It just doesn't seem to be done very gracefully ...

Thanks for writing back, Becky

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Angela Moore
Subject: shrubbery? ni?

Anyhow.  Have you ever read anything by Josepha Sherman? The Shattered
Oath and Forging the Runes, I think there's probably going to be another
book, but I thought you might like to keep it in mind.  It's good
stuff.  Mercedes Lackey is also pretty good, but I liked it a lot better
when I was a few years younger.  The Fire Rose is really good, so is
Lammas Night and the Diana Tregarde Investigations (Burning Water,
Children of the Night, and Jinx High.  It's a kind of independant
series, no particular order)  I'll probably use your page as a kind of
checklist, even though my opinion on the works of David Eddings is much
more positive. :)   Angela Moore

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From hall54@blyonline.com Tue Nov 19 14:14:24 1996
Subject: Sphere

Hey. I just read your little page on Michael Crichton's books. I thought
it was pretty good.However  I have one question. Why did you put "Sphere"
at the bottom of the list? I thought it was an excellent book. I'vr read
almost all of Crichton's books, and I don't think "Sphere" is the best,
but I definately don't think its the worst either. Anyway, I was just
wondering why you didn't like it.
~Will

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From dferber@reedexpo.com Tue Nov 19 18:26:47 1996
Subject: Book Suggestions, and general banter

I fell from the web into your site today on a search for Zelazny,
 in anticipation of any recent stuff.  I was so intrigued, that I've come
back to make two book suggestions.

Our book lists/ranking were similar, with some interesting differences
and strong correlations, but enough of a sense of kindred spirit overlap
for me to confidently offer some suggested reading.  (I am an INTJ, with
a low I  [I process thoughts and ideas as an "I," but tend to be "E"
-like in passion for projects, and leading the charge]  and will
definitely test out the predictive nature of personality type on book
preferences.  I've pretty well exhausted the analysis of personality
types and work styles)

Two books I read in the past year that made strong impressions:

1.  Angle of Repose, William Stegner.  In short, a man facing somewhat of
the same impotence issues in life as Thomas Covenant face his
disibilities through the life of an ancestor.  Wonderfully written, great
characters, Weighty book needing a commitment of time.  His Crossing to
Safety is a lighter, less lush book, but still good.  Angle was GREAT.

2.  The Stone Diaries. I put this here because it was truly a great
experience and I read it after One True Thing by Quinlin and you gave
that a 9. The Stone Diaries is very much about how human beings alway
MISS eachother, and fail to truly understand eachother;  it is frequently
very funny.

Neither of these are Sci/Fi,  however, with the inclusion of One True
Thing and the commonalities in our Sci-fi appreciation  - methinks you
will like them.  They are different from eachother but both
extraordinary in their way.

Have fun!!!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From jdines@cent-tech.com Fri Nov 22 11:20:16 1996
Subject: William Gibson

His writing is terrible ?

That would explain why he is considered THE cyberpunk author, and why I
have read Nueromancer 5 times, and Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive 3
times.

P.S.

The "Cyberpunk series" is not.

Nueromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive is a three part trilogy
known as "The Freeside Trilogy".

Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories.

If your going to give people advice, please make it GOOD advice :)

HAND

M0n|k3R

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From ingram Sat Nov 23 11:34:13 1996
Subject: Re: William Gibson

What can I say?  Your mileage may vary.  If you think my reviews have
done some gross injustice to William Gibson or other authors, the
appropriate response is (multiple choice test):

a)  Complain to me that my opinion is somehow not valid.
b)  Write your own review and post it either to news or the Web.
c)  Set up your own page of book reviews with your own (presumably
	more correct) opinions about books.

It would seem clear to me that the correct response is (b) or (c).
I mean, writing a letter to me basically affirming that "I am wrong"
is pretty damned unlikely to get me to change my mind.  Furthermore,
I absolutely do not consider my opinion on a given book to be the
definitive viewpoint.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  It
is simply my opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Doug

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From jdines@cent-tech.com Mon Nov 25 15:43:11 1996

Do you always answer your own questions ?

Actually, if you post an opinion you should expect it to be criticized.  =
What you have done, effectively, is run into a room full of a million =
people and blurt out your opinions.  If you didn't expect to receive =
some critical responses as a result of such an action ....  What can I =
say ?=20

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From ingram Tue Nov 26 13:18:14 1996

Sorry, you mistook my advice as criticism.  Let me try to restate:
I happily accept all responses and critiques of my own reviews.
Heck, I even PUBLISH them on my own site in the mailbag.  However,
in your case, where you seem to be particularly enamoured of a
certain author, I can sympathize completely, even if you disagree
with me (i.e my review of Gibson or my review of, say, Donaldson,
which many disagree with).

What I'm trying to get across to you is this:  The most effective
way to express your opinion is to create a suitable vehicle for it.
Something that people will read.  Someday soon, I hope there are
a lot of review pages on the Web that are similar in purpose to my
own.  That way, it would be easier to get ideas for good new books.
You get a diversity of opinions as well as a larger sample size.

Another minor point is this:  If your goal is to get me to change
my mind about William Gibson, you shouldn't just say "You're wrong."
You should give me some kind of thoughtful reason, listing some of
the positives I may have overlooked.  Same is true if you want to
present a counterpoint to my review in the mailbag.  If you really
care about it, be my guest.  If you don't, then from my end, it
looks like you're just spouting off for the sole purpose of venting
anger at me.  Hey, it's a free country, but don't expect me to
show you a lot of respect in return.

Regards,
Doug

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From jdines@cent-tech.com Tue Nov 26 13:24:03 1996

You are of course correct that I could have gone about "offering my =
criticism" more politely, and I apologize.  I just couldn't believe =
someone could read those books and come out with the coverage you gave =
it.  Who would of thought you need to think before you E-MAIL, too ....  =
 :)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From GJCorsair@aol.com Fri Nov 22 22:50:26 1996
Subject: web page

Just a quick note as I don't have much time.

First, I really enjoyed your web page, and though I don't agree with all your
opinions, hey that fine.

Some of the books I would recommend are:

The Honor Harrington and Mutineers Moon series by David Weber. Both are
strictly science fiction but are a good read anyway.  Although the books are
all 'stand alone' story lines, the HH series is not complete, the latest just
came out in hardback.

Anne McCafferys later Pern books were fairly booring although I like her
harper hall trilogy best. (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums)

Christopher Stasheffs newer books, The warlocks heirs series are better than
his last   books in the original warlock series although there was a really
good prequel, escape velocity.  Also "Her majestys wizard" series was pretty
good.

Well thats all I can think of right now.  Keep up the good work.

Greg J

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Joe Mashinski
Date: 	 Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:51:30 -0500
Subject: books & personality types

Hello-- I may have just accidentally sent you the beginning of this
note, I'm not sure (I accidentally closed the screen mid message.)
Anyway, I haven't had time to go through your list in too much detail,
but we seem to have at least some overlap in authours.  I suspect the
obvious differences may be as much gender based as personality based.  I
am an INFP, which is fairly close to your type (especially since I have
strong T and J leanings-  up to a year or so ago I used to test out as a
n INTJ, now I have definitely switched, and I must say the NF
descriptons suit me much better--I am not sure if I was biasing my
questions in the past or if I have really changed over the years- a bit
of both I think, I first took the test in high scool(some dozen years
ago), and may have assumed that I wasn't ever supposed to change in the
years that follow.  Perhaps this is over enthusiasm, but I think the
Myers-=riggs test give a remarkably good explanation of different
people, so I find the topic interesting).  I have never read (or heard
of) Stephen Brust or Dan Simmons-- as for as Stephen R. Fonaldson, I
loved Mordant's Need, but have never really been able to get through the
Thomas Covenant books.  I've enjoyed what I've read of them, but they
are just a little too pessemistic for me, so I tend to put them down for
months and then have to start over again.  But I love the idea, and do
intend to finish them sometime.
	It is a bit difficult for me to narrow down favorite authors, but one
who would definitely be in my top 3 and who is not in your author index
is P. C. Hodgell.  She is not too well knownm, but really really good.
She has written 3 books, thus far.  _God Stalk_, the first, is probably
the best.  This and the sequel, _Dark of the Moon_, are in most
libraries (unless they've been stolen).  They are out of print and the
only place to buy a copy is from the Hypatia Press in Oregon (look under
blue moon books on the internet if interested.)  Her third book,
_Seeker's Mask_, finally came out last year; due to publisher
difficulties it is only available from the above publisher.  Of course,
I loved the first two so much that I was willing to shell out $35. to
read it (and I read 3 times in the 6 weeks after it arrived. Definitely
money well spent.)
	I won't mention any other writers, as I haven't been through your list
completely, but a reccomended book list which I found very useful and in
complete accord with my taste (I like everything on it I've read) can be
found on Beth Hilgartner's homepage, if you are looking for
reccomndations and or what to know in more detail what this INFP at
least likes.
						Ellen A. Blackburn

From rtg1@ra.msstate.edu Tue Nov 26 20:21:19 1996
Subject: other authors

Try reading some of the books by Mercedes Lackey and Robert Jordan. The
characters are really likable in Lackey's.  The characters in Jordan's
are very deep.  Thanks.

Belrex