From: Jeffrey Lathan
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 18:07:04 -0600
Subject: Author suggestion

Doug,

First of all: great web site.  Definitely keep it up!

Secondly, I am not sure if I have recommended this author to you before.
If so, sorry.  If not, I hope you get a chance to check her out.

Joan D Vinge is her name.  The books I have really enjoyed are Psion and
Catspaw.

Just my two cents...

jeff

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Megan Humpherys
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 18:13:16 -0700
Subject: Snow Crash

Hi

I just wanted to clarify and be clarified on a couple of things about
your review of Snow Crash which happens to be one of my favorite books
of all time.  First of all Hiro Protagonist is a Hacker/ Pizza Delivery
man for your clarification and for my clarification why the heck do you
compare him to michael j. fox in back to the future - I see absolutely
no similarity at all.  Also i quite agree that the weird sex scene was
unessacary and disturbing:)

Michael

# Well, the image of latching onto passing vehicles in order to
# travel was reminiscent of M. J. Fox's skateboarding exploits
# in "Back to the Future".  At least, that was the first image
# that popped into MY head.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Robert Tyrrell
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:49:16 -0500

Hello Doug

I was just looking around for sites similar to my own and I stumbled on
yours.  It looks good, I like what your doing.  I just started a page
where I solicit reviews.  Please feel free to check us out at
http://www.cyberus.ca/~ddrt

Would you like to swap links?

Talk later
David Roberts

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Peter R. Jones"
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 02:50:36 -1000

Hi Doug,

Just had a look at your web site, and I've got a few comments.  First
though, I'll say that my policy when it comes to reading series is
*almost* the same as yours.  I will generally read the first book of a
series (and with some continuing series, it is not always clear that
there is a second book in the wings until you finish the first book and
say "And then what...?")  Having read the first book, if it is good I'll
wait until I have the full series before reading the rest (I'll buy them
as soon as I see them, but won't read them), unless it seems that they
do not necessarily follow directly from each other.

Also, my approach to reading books is pretty much the same as my
approach to watching movies: I wanna enjoy myself, so the ol'
"Suspension of disbelief" goes into overdrive.  If some truly glaring
error smacks me around the head I'll be critical about it, but otherwise
I do my best to not notice.  Sometimes it ain't easy.

Stephen Donaldson:  Like you I am a fan of Thomas Covenant - the series,
not necessarily the person! :-)  You mention somewhere that you are
eagerly awaiting The Gap series - this is one of the few that I've
broken my own rule, and I've read the first four books - can't wait for
the fifth to show up (in paperback, of course!)  I'll say only that he
excels himself with this series - it is hard to know whom to detest
more, and it makes the Thomas Covenant Chronicles seem positively light
and jolly in comparison.  People who didn't like the Chronicles *won't*
like these books!

Jennifer Roberson: One of my favourites, although for some reason it is
currently impossible to get her books in this country (Australia).  I've
got five of the Cheysuli Chronicles, in no particular order, and then
they were removed from the shelves, so I haven't read them yet.  I
recommend the Sword-Dancer series (four books: Sword-Dancer,
Sword-Singer, Sword-Maker, Sword-Breaker), and her Lady of the Forest is
one of the best retellings of the Robin/Marian tale that I've ever read
- and so feasible...  (IMHO)

Weis & Hickman: I haven't read the Death Gate Cycle yet, (and I'll still
read it despite what you say :-))  I did spot the name of the wizard
Zifnab and thought "Groan - that's Fizban" (another of their characters,
I believe, from the Dragonlance series.)

Tad Williams: I've read the first book only, and somehow got sidetracked
and haven't got any further.  If I leave it much longer I'll have to
read the first book again.

Robert Jordan: So just how many books are in the Wheel of Time series,
anyway?  I've got six, and the seventh is almost out - true to form,
I've read the first.

I can also heartily recommend Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule" - a
bit predictable in places, perhaps, and it gets rather heavy at one
point, but it kept me up one night, finishing it.  The sequel has been
released recently as well - I'll read it soon...

FYI, I'm reading the Rama books at the moment, prompted by Sierra's
adventure game, would you believe?

Bye,
Pete.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: desmei@uclink4.berkeley.edu
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:15:57 -0800
Subject: Some Suggestions

I'm sure you get lots of suggestions for your reading list, but I guess
i'll add a few more. I was quite impressed with your reading list
(which, by the way somewhat resembles mine)and your reviews seemed quite
reasonable. Just to know where I am coming from, among my favorite SF
authors are Greg Bear, Guy Gavriel Kay, and J.R.R. Tolkein. On to
suggestions... Perhaps you would like to read something by Charles de
Lint or John Crowley. Charles de Lint writes fanatasy books generally
set in a fictional Canadian city called Newford. HIs novels "Memories
and Dreams" and "The Little Country" are the best in my opinion, though
his short story colletions are also quite good. He is a bit new-agey
though, so be careful with that. Oh, and also the books tend to deal
with very female protagonists. John Crowley wrote, "Little, Big" and
"Aegypt" and both are very good books with a lots of, hmmmm, atmosphere,
i guess. Most people love him or condemn him for being boring. Take him
as you will... Also another good book, though I have only read this one
of hers is Pamela Dean's "Tam Lin". And a word of warning- DO NOT READ
ROBERT JORDAN. he really really sucks. it is basically a rip-off of
every epic boy-meets-destiny story. Dragonbone chair minus interesting
characters. I cannot condemn it enough. Well, after that I guess I have
nothing to say. I hope these suggestions dont disappoint. I really
enjoyed browsing your library, and will take some your suggestions.

My personality type is INFP, buit i do agree with A LOT of your reviews.
Also another author worth reading is Jack Vance, especially the series
Lyonesse (Suldren's Garden, THe Green Pearl, Madouc).
Another favorite author is Steven Brust ( I cant believe I forgot to
mention him!) and I love Ender's Game, and Hyperion, though I have not
yet read enough of Card or Simmons to truly name them as favorites.
Actually I inherit my reading taste from my father who is INFJ...

-Suzanne

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Christine Chong
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:01:52 +0800

CJ CHERRYH : Have to disagree with you. Have read RUSALKA,FAERY IN SHADOW,
The FOREIGNER series (FOREIGNER & INTRUDER awaiting the 3rd book -
INHERITOR) and the latest TOWER IN THE EYE OF TIME.

FOREIGNER & INTRUDER - Engrossing read.Basically a story of the differences
and similarities between the humans and the Atevi. It relates the story of
Bren Cameron - go between and dispenser of human technology to the less
scientifically advanced Atevi. He is the only human allowed on the Atevi
mainland, other humans live on the Island of Mospeira as part of the truce
between Human and Atevi after a war between the two. (The humans lost). She
draws a rather good portrait of an alien culture - a culture where assasination
is a legal option in settling disputes, provided it is publicly declared
first. The politics and culture are well described, especially the Atevi's
obsession with numerology.There are no clear cut villains - each has their
dark side. I've yet to read the 3rd book. (Boy! Do I agree with you
regarding series :()Found out from the web that it was released in May, but
yet to surface at my local bookstore.

TOWER IN THE EYE OF TIME : Sword & sorcery story of Kings and wizards,
ghosts and revenants. Detailed look at the manners and life in a medieval
court, with all the accompanying intrigue.You may feel like bopping the hero
on the head sometimes, he's so naive!

FAERY IN SHADOW : Confusing, bombastic tale of a cursed hero and his pet
faery, twins born of human and a sea god.

RUSALKA : Russian fairytale of ghosts and wizards.

CS FRIEDMAN : recommended by one of your contributors. Have read and
recommend the COLDFIRE Trilogy. A complex tale of religion, self discovery
and friendship; with a novel twist to the idea of magic and its origin. A
priest meets the founder of his religion, who has sold his soul to the
demons in exchange for immortality. They team up to combat a greater evil
and forge an unlikely friendship. Good read.

TOM HOLT : For those who enjoy the writings of Douglas Adams & Terry
Pratchett. Manic and mangled retellings of King Arthur, Faust, The Last
Supper. May offend the ultra religious and those without a sense of humour.

PG WODEHOUSE : The antics of Bertie Wooster and his butler Jeeves. Classic
British humour.

KEVIN ANDERSON - DARKSABER : Promising start which soon fizzles out. Good
introduction with some insight into the lives of the Tusken Raiders. He
seems to run out of ideas after the first two chapters. A big waste of the
character Callista introduced in Barbara Hambly's CHILDREN OF THE JEDI =
which is recommended.

TIMOTHY ZAHN - STAR WARS TRILOGY (Ditto with your opinion). CONQUEROR'S
PRIDE & CONQUEROR'S LEGACY are his latest. It's about one family's effort to
rescue their brother/son from the clutches of an alien invasion force. He is
the sole survivor of a scouting expedition's meeting with the invader's
party. Both sides claim the other started the attack, and it turns out to be
the result of a terrible misunderstanding. The book is full of action -
watch out for his descriptions of the Copperheads - human pilots who can
innterface directly with their fighters.

That's some of my humble views and recommendations. Appreciate your comments
as & when you read them.

Happy reading!

Christine Chong @ Malaysia
chongls@pc.jaring.my

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: EricX W Myers
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 96 12:54:00 PST
Subject: books, personality types

     Hi Doug,

     I generally agreed with most of your reviews of books we have both read
     and was looking forward to checking the personality type in your link, but
     the link is no longer valid....of course I only tried it during 1 day....

     I thought I would point out that the whole Homecoming series by Orson Scott
     Card is now out in PB....the first three were classic Card storytelling,
     the fourth petered out a bit, the fifth was good, but centuries after the
     other four, so not completely related.

     Speaking of Card, If you liked Turtledove's "Guns of the South" (I haven't
     read it yet) you may also like Card's Alvin Maker series, as an alternative
     history.  I'm not sure the fourth book is out in PB yet, but when I
     finished the first three I was happy enough with no clue that there might
     be a fourth book.

     You may also enjoy Zelazny's "Doorways in the Sand."  I loved the first 5
     Amber books, but after several other of his books I have limited myself to
     just reading the stories he tells in the 1st person--generally more
     engrossing and less obtuse.

     Thanks for the great resource, I am definitely looking forward to my next
     trip to the bookstore!

     Eric Myers
     emyers@mother.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: todd@ftp.com (Todd Prior)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:15:33 -0500
Subject: saw your page

     when searching for David Brin.  He is continuing his uplift story in a new
 trilogy, the first of which, _Brightness Reef_ is already out.  Chances
are, you
 already know this...
     You might want to read some of James P. Hogan's work.  Good SF, sometimes
 gets too much into the theory of why xxxx device could really work, but good
 story wrapped around it.

todd

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Gary D Haynes
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:01:04 -0600
Subject: Terry Brooks review

I am writing concerning your review of Terry Brooks Shanarra Serries. I
have to disagree with you concerning your statement that people who have
read Tolkein would not find this series interesting. I have read all of
Tolkein's work and I loved it but i would rather read Brooks. Another
thing is there are four or five(can't remember exactly and am too lazy
to go to the bookshelf and look)more books in that series. If you have
not read them you are missing some great reading. One last thing what
about Brooks' Landover series???? It is more sci fi than fantasy but if
 you have not read them you are definitley not getting the true Brooks
expierience. Why don't you finish the shanarra series and try the
landover series too. Then you will be in a posistion to give an
objective review. Otherwise I think you are missing out on a great
writer.

Sincerly
Chris Haynes

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: firefly27
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 21:36:27 -0800
Subject: comments

I just wrote to tell you that you have a great page and to
recommend one of my favorite books.  It's by Christopher Pike and it's
called THE SEASON OF PASSAGE.  Hope you take the time to read it because
you probably won't be disappointed.  Thanks.  Bye-bye.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Marysville Public Library
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 11:32:27 -0800

One thing, the Warlock in his series didn't crash land.  He simply landed
(though with Fess piloting there may be little difference.)  The warlock
could have left at any time.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: THE DOELL FAMILY
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:46:37 -0600
Subject: comment on list

As a comment on your list, I would point out that, the way you think
about an author not nessecarily means that it is the correct one. Like
colors and fashion etc. it depends on the person who reads the book. A
book is a meaning to relax. So many critics find the way they think
about a play, a book, a movie etc, is the correct one. I do not share
that meaning. I think that no two persons are the same, and that each
one is entitled to have his or hers opinion. Many critics do not respect
 an other person. They are the centre of the universe. Hopefully they
wake up on time, before somebody starts to question the critics.

I hope I didn't offend you. I only want to point out that critics are
human too, and humans are entitled to make mistakes. Everybody who reads
the critics should know that, and it's not nessecarily shared by
everybody.

I tried to make no mistakes. writing this letter. I know I made some,
but I gave my best.

Pieter Geraedts
The Netherlands

# If you've read much of the mail bag, you know that "my opinion is
# no more valid than anyone else's" is repeated frequently by me.
# You're preaching to the choir.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Truman and Clarice Dalton
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:46:51 -0600
Subject: C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia

Doug,
	I just wanted to make the quick comment that if you have read the
entire Chronicles of Narnia series, one that is not on your list is "The
Horse and His Boy."  I don't know if that is because you haven't read
it, or merely oversight, but I thought I'd bring that to your attention
either way.  Thanks.

					Matthew Dalton

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Steve Yarger
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 16:04:42 -0600
Subject: The Truth Machine

Doug,
	I have often considered making a web site of reviews similar to your
own.  I seem to have similar tastes in fiction as you since I agree with
most of your reviews.  I just finished The Truth Machine by James L.
Halperin and I recomend you give it a try.  By the way I would be
interested in seeing a list of your favorite books of all time (maybe a
top ten) so if you get a chance try putting it on your website.

Sincerely,
Steve Yarger

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: SMasonX@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:56:16 -0500
Subject: what about pkd?

why no mention of him in your review of many authors?

you have many mentions of *shutter* micheal chriton....and yet not a single
utterance of phil k dick, the most brilliant and prophetic wirter ever?

im shocked.

# He's on my "to buy" list, but the reprints that are out are too
# expensive and used bookstores usually don't have it.  Nevertheless,
# I continue to look and will find them eventually or break down
# and pay full price.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Monica Jersler
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 00:23:56 -0800
Subject: kerr

I think you are wrong about the Nevyn-books, Mr Ingram. They are the best
books ever written.
					Sophia Alfvag

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "DEANE RINK"
Date:          Tue, 31 Dec 1996 05:46:39 -0500
Subject:       books list

You have the nub of a good idea, even if I don't agree with many of
your reading choices.

Suggest you go to http://www.samizdat.com/rink.html
                  http://www.samizdat.com/rink2.html
                  http://www.samizdat.com/encount1.html
                  http://www.samizdat.com/encount2.html for how I
have developed this idea, and just to
                  http://www.samizdat.com        to see how my idea
fits into a larger scheme of things run by one Richard Seltzer.

>From your list, it's clear you like fantasy; you might want to try
BLUEFEATHER FELLINI INTHE SACRED REALM by Max Evans (Bantam pb)

Deane Rink

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Robert Hagen
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 01:52:43 -0800

I stumbled onto your site in the course of a casual search for sf
reading  recommendations.  Based on your views of works that I've
previously read, I'm looking forward to trying some new authors.  So
many books, so little time....
A David Brin novel that i did not notice among your reviews is Glory
Season. It is one of the niftiest explorations of evolutionary biology
(my field) that I've encountered: what if humans could reproduce
clonally?  The novel gets top marks for the society that he creates from
the science and for the characters he populates it with, more than
enough to compensate for a weak ending. I  very much like Brin's work,
to the extent that I've foolishly chosen to read the first volume in his
unfinished Uplift trilogy over the holidays.  I know I will regret this,
but some things cannot be helped.
	So, thanks for your efforts on behalf of all of us. I hope you will be
able to maintain it!
			--bob hagen
			rhagen@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From hattie@sage.net Thu Jan  2 14:22:57 1997
Subject: Robert Jordan

Hello,
	I do this not to complain about your decision to wait and read the
entire Jordan series when it is through, but to point something out....
i.e. that when you wait, the chances of sitting down and reading the
10,000 plus pages will be a little overwhelming, don't you think.
	I mean, in paper back, the man already has about 8,000 pages of written
text and it is interesting.
	Of course, I read some of you reviews and personally I owuldn't agree,
but that is the joy of being alive, the freedom to be an individual

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Aaron Butler
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 97 00:57:12 -0800

Mr. Ingram,

I also came upon your book review page while checking our your
MYST page.  I just thought that I would throw a few books out
there for you to peruse.

First, I see that you have read and reviewed C.S. Lewis'
Chronicles of Narnia.  However, have you ever read his Space
Trilogy?  Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous
Strength?  They are well worth the reading.  Lewis considered
Perelandra his best work until he wrote Till We Have Faces(also
worth reading!).

My second recommendation is Stephen R. Lawhead.  A great writer.
 I have read tons of stuff in the fantasy/sci-fi genre, and I
think he is right on up there.  Reading through your bio and some
of your reviews, it seems sort of ironic.  I live in Tyler, TX,
and I will be 28 in February, and cut my literary teeth on many
of the same works that you did as a teen:  Narnia, Xanth, etc.  I
have also read a lot of Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, etc.  I checked
out the Thieve's World stuff as well as Alan Dean Foster.  I
think Lawhead could stand toe to toe with any of them.

No real reason to give you my bio, except to say Howdy to a
fellow Texan.  You don't happen to know Conan Burnes do you?  He
is also our age and went to UT and lived in Jester Hall.  With a
name like Conan, I figure that if you met him, you would
remember him.

Back to Lawhead.  I will give a quick list of his works(the best
I can from memory) with a lit jot off to the side.

Byzantium
His newest work. A good work, but not my favorite.

The Pendragon Cycle
     Taliesin
     Merlin
     Arthur
     Pendragon

I think this is his best stuff.  A great epic story with
fantastic characters.  A retelling of the myths of Atlantis and
ancient Enland like you have never read.  Like Lord Foul's Bane,
you have to get into it just a little, because there is so much
background.  However, I never found it tedious.  I would
recommend these to anyone with hesitation.

Dream Thief
A really neat idea with not too little suspense.

The Albion Chronicles
     ???????
     Silver Hand
     The Endless Knot

My second favorite.  This might be what you would want to read
first.  Somewhat similiar to the Thomas Covenant series, but
there is no anti-hero, and it definitely not a rip-off.  A
complete story in its own right.

The Empyrion Saga
     Search for Fierra
     Siege of Dome

Rereading this right now.  Neat sci-fi stuff with a lot of
socio-psychology mixed in.

The Dragon King Trilogy
     ?????
     ?????
     ?????

It has been a while since I have read these.  These are probably
my least favorite of his, but they are still excellent.  More
along the lines of "fairy tale".

I hope you take the time to read some of these, and to give me a
little feedback.  Lawhead is a Christian, but you can find his
works in secular and Christian bookstores.  Some of his stories
have no Christian references, some have a few, and some several.
 It depends on the story and if it will add of detract.

Thanks for your time.
--
Aaron
Check out my homepage at:  http://www.gower.net/abutler

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: ACroft
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 00:23:30 -0800
Subject: Book Reviews!

Hi Doug!

I read many of your book reviews, and I enjoyed and agreed with most.
(For your "research purposes, I am ENFP)

I absolutely agree with your statement about never buying a series until
it is all out in paper back!  It is beyond frustrating to be stuck
without a good read!  At the moment I have been left stranded by none
other than Robert Jordan!!!  I won't suggest that you read it.  However
I will tell you that it was really difficult to get through parts of the
first book, but it gets much better after that.  It is too bad that I
did not come up with your motto until too late in life to be of use.  I
am, well was, stuck for nothing new and interesting to read at the
moment.  I will have to check out some of the books you have on your
site.

At the moment however, I am reading parts of an anthology by David Adams
Leeming called "The World of Myth."  It is very intersting, and
something to pick up and read when I am inbetween books.  If you are
into seeing how similar many mythologies are, I recommended it.  The
other book I am reading, just to refresh my memory for school, is "A
Genetic Switch" by Mark Ptashne.  I am extremely impressed with the
research that has been done in molecular biology, but as for
recommending it as a good read.....I will have to suggest that you pass
on it!  A real sleeper!

I love Stephen Brust. I cannot count how many times I have read the
Taltos series.
They are all wonderful!  Did you read "A Broke Down Palace?"  It was
slow, but had its moments.

The only real recommendation that I have is the series by Jeanne
Kalogridis, The Diaries of Family Dracul.  I am not usually interested
in the trendy horror stories, but I found her first two books easy
moving and well written.  I found the characters to be defined well and
very appealing.  I am looking forward to the third, and I think final,
novel.

Finally, as an ex-Magic the Gathering player/collecter....it is an awful
terrible addiction that has cost me toooooo much money!!  I enjoyed the
game, and making decks, and getting the cards.   Unfortunately, it is
the players that I did not enjoy!!  It seems they were all,
hmm...indescribable, maybe you know what I mean.  I have a wonderful
collection, and about the only time I play is with my brothers.  That
makes it worth the money spent though.

Good luck with your teaching!
Sincerly,
Amy

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: debra rose
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 11:14:47 -0500
Subject: personality test theory

I read many books throughout a year, probably on average 4 a week.
My twin brother reads more, at least 6 a week.
I am a ENTJ
my brother is a INTJ

My brother has similar book interests to you.
I do not.  What I find interesting is that you are a Feeling rather
than Thinking, and I think your taste in books would reflect other than
that.
And I am a Thinking rather than Feeling, and yet my taste in books
differs from you.. Mystery, police procedural, history, autobiographies
only for nonfamous people.  My twin brother also likes mysteries and
police procedurals but enjoys a faster paced don't talk about feelings
type of book, where as I enjoy a deep character study.

It is interesting though how I am a social worker and yet I am a
thinker rather than Feeling.

A book I will reccommend to you though, because my brother throughly
enjoyed it is Bill Bryson, Notes from a small island  Bill is a writer
for National Geographic and this book is a humourous travelogue of
Britain.  It is done with great taste and it is a joy to read.
Debra Rose    rose@iaw.on.ca

PS  I have greatly enjoyed your book reviews and have made several notes
as to what I might want to read. Good luck in 1997

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: poitras@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 18:15:30 -0500
Subject: Not!!!

You are the only person I've seen who did not like Miss Degeneres
book. You obviously do not know how to read. Now Fran Dresher book
sucks. Ellens book is hilarious! And every moment your either smiling or
cracking up , and if you want proof that most people stand up behind me
, why don't you look at the bestsellers list?

# How many times must I say about my reviews "Your Mileage May Vary"?
# Besides, isn't it a dangerous assumption to assume that a book is
# good because it is a best-seller?  Come now, you know better than that.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Andrew Edwin Ketcham
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 01:57:28 -0500 (EST)

I don't tend to get fanatical or overly excited about much of anything
but Heinlein is an exception.  I suggest you reread some of the stories
and re-evaluate them.  And by the way, Friday was not a sentient robot
she was an in vitro born human being.  And before you knock The Cat Who
Walks Through Walls You should read several other stories that are
directly linked to it.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Eleonora Budden
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:30:47 -0000
Subject: books to read

Hi,
I just thought that you should try reading some more Terry Pratchet.

These are the ones I found hilarious:
*Gaurds! Gaurds!  ( probably the best )
*Equal Rites
*Reaper Man
*Masquerade

Bye, Bye
Fidel Budden

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: paul Betters
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:35:25 -0800
Subject: Your reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed your short reviews, and I have just recently
become a fan of the fantasy genre.  I have read all of Tolkien, Eddings,
Jordan, Goodkind.  I have read some of Brooks, Pratchett, and Feist.  I
aggree with the reviews youo made, but am disappointed that you have yet
to read Jordan or Goodkind because they're unfinished.  I have one
question for you.  How do you have enough time to read all these books?

# Thanks for the comments.  How do I have time to read all these books?
# Well, remember that this is a compilation of roughly my last 15 years
# of reading, and I tend to read a lot when travelling (if you follow
# the page at all, you'll notice that the pace of new reviews is
# staggeringly slow during the school year, when I teach).  Besides,
# I love to read.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: John Klar
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:42:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Nailed

...I got nailed several years ago by Donaldson, who made me wait about a
year between all the books of the Second Chronicles, which I had to buy in
hardback 'cause I couldn't wait!

Read that also, just as I started the last book, my sister tells me the
ending (Thomas dies).  Not a pretty sight...

Although I'm sure several people have pointed this out, if you want
"nailed" have I got a series for you: J.Pournelle and R.Green's Janissaries
series.  All us lucky ones have been waiting, (looking for copyright
date...wow 1987) 10 years for the _final_ book in the series.  Sad, sad, sad.

Not to be completely negative, I share your admiration for Dan Simmons'
Hyperion Books and Endymion.  I was doing an Excite search, hoping to catch
a hint on when The Rise of Endymion -- or whatever title it'll be -- is
planned for release.

Being prone to bad nightmares (well, used to, now they're just weird), I
stay away from horror, but I must say that Hyperion had -just- the right
blend of horror and some other elements.  This series is on my "must read"
list.

All for now, (I had intended on taking in more of the site before I
emailed, but that "nailed" comment just begged for a response :)

John Klar

# Glen Cook's "Black Company" series will stand with Janissaries any day
# in terms of reader frustration.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Michael Stoddart
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 01:24:28 +0000
Subject: Terry Pratchett reviews

>Unfortunately, I thought Wyrd Sisters was thoroughly
>plodding, so I stopped reading after that, hoping someday
>to have someone tell me what the top five or so in the
>series are so I can just read those rather than buy them all

Well, no guarantees but http://www-pp.kdt.net/tati.ryberg/results.html
has a 'readers poll' of the most liked DiscWorld books...

1.Men at Arms      125 votes 13,6%
2. Small Gods       124 votes 13,4%
3. Mort             113 votes 12,3%
4. Guards! Guards!   90 votes  9,8%
5. Reaper Man        81 votes  8,8%
6. Interesting Times 61 votes  6,6%
11. Wyrd Sisters 31 votes 3,4%

~950 people voted, and I think that the results are skewed by the
release dates of the books.  I.e. newer books often got higher
scores than older books... as witnessed by The Colour of Magic's
undeservedly low rating.

I wouldn't, personally, recommend any of the 'Witches' books unless
you were a real hardcore fan.

Hope this was what you were looking for,
Mike.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Doug Rigby"
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 20:06:20 -0600
Subject: suggestion

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. A must.
Doug Rigby

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "DarkStar"
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:26:23 -0700
Subject: RE: Donaldson's "The Gap"  series.

	Waiting to read your review on this series, as the final book just came
out in paperback. I have to admit that I'm not one to give an honest review
of the series, as I've been an ardent Donaldson since the first Covenant
series was published. (I have all of his works in hardback, including the
"Reed Stephens" mysteries, and not a few of them autographed.).

	I have bore the cross of Covenant for many years (terrible pun, that),
defending his works in various quarters to all comers. However, I do feel
he is a bit of an "acquired" taste: not for the masses who are easily
pleased with the works of such hacks as those who grind out "D&D"
fantasies!

	Ah well, such is life. Now back to reading Frost's "Six Messiah's"

	Regards, Dave Beers
	aka DarkStar

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Juliebug

Finally, ANOTHER person who's actually *read* The Guardians of the
Flame! I was reading your review, and I have just *one* small nit. :)

It's not Lord Lund who spears Jason. It's Lordling. :)

But, basically, I agree with you. It's a fantastic series (the first
four, in particular), but I have a feeling there's going to be an
eighth, don't you? Assuming, of course, you've *read* the 7th -- "The
Road Home".

As for non-RPGers still enjoying the series, heck, I was 8 or 9 when I
picked up The Sleeping Dragon (the picture on the cover got me!) and the
other 3, and had basically no idea what an RPG was. I have re-read the
series every summer since then (and I am turning 20 in May). I still
haven't RPGed. I don't know why. Maybe I have a subconcious fear that
Arthur Simpson Deighton will cross ME over to the Other Side.

:)
Take care!

Julie "Juliebug" Martin
http://www.total.net/~juliebug (being revised)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: IACULLOG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 01:47:21 -0500 (EST)
Subject: brooks review

i completely agree with your review of  the Terry Brooks novels.  i can put
up with the fact that he has good trolls and evil gnomes.  however, his
blatant plagiarism at the expense of the good professor Tolkien is
unforgiveable.

-greg

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Marcus Webb"
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:32:39 +0
Subject: Excellent site!! How about linking to ...

I came across your  site whilst browsing around,
and just thought you might be interested in linking to our site.

I work for Bookpages, a new Internet bookstore which has all
850,000 British Books in Print, and also offers great customer
service. I was wondering if you would like to link to us,
Webmaster.

Bookpages is constantly updated with new content daily, so please
take a look and see what you think - http://www.bookpages.co.uk
as we have a number of Michael Crichton and other titles that may be of
interest, which you may like to make available to your visitors.

If you look at the Link To Us section in our site (the link's on the
bottom left of the home page) there are a number of banners and icons that
you may like to choose from, and also further details of the Bookpages
Sponsorship Program.

Please let me know what you think, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks!

Marcus Webb                E-mail: marcusw@bookpages.co.uk

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: Corey Stark
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:15:26 -0800
Subject: Ron Luciano

Luciano, Ron

     The Umpire Strikes Back
     Strike Two

          Very funny and interesting series of baseball stories as told
by a former Major League umpire. If you're a baseball fan, you should
read this. I think
          there is one more book in this series, but I could be mistaken.
Sadly, in 1995, Luciano committed suicide. It was a tragedy, but I think
it is a statement
          of how much he loved the game.

Above is a quote from on of your book reviews, I was just wondering what
you meant by 'I think it is a statement of how much he loved the game.'.

	Corey

# I have since clarified and reworded the review.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: "Keisha J. Gray"
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 09:04:59 -0600
Subject: Books

Hi there, Doug!  I like your page--this is a really cool place.  I
thought I would take the liberty of throwing a few of my own
recommendations into the book bag.  Most of them are old books, so you
may well have received these suggestions from other letters, but I'll
go ahead anyway.

Poul Anderson -- Time Patrol (It might be a series, I forget.  It's
been a while.)

Ray Bradbury -- Something Wicked this Way Comes
		              The October Country
										Farenheit 451 (I avoided this for a long time because
it was one pushed by the high-school English teacher, but it's great.
Written 40 years ago but it holds up a mirror to 1990s society almost
flawlessly.)

Larry Niven -- The Ringworld Series (It's where the Man-Kzin wars got
their first mention.  I think it also has the original lightsaber.)

Robert Heinlein -- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (His best, imho.)

Robert E. Howard -- The Conan stories  (OK, not very sophisticated,
but Howard was kind of crazy and these stories are written with a mad
zest it's hard to find elsewhere.)

JRR Tolkien -- Farmer Giles of Ham.  (Get an old illustrated copy from
a library if you can.  Gorgeous book with a fun story.)

Tim Powers -- The Anubis Gates (I read this book 3 times in a row when
I was 15.  Maybe it has held up since then...)

Fritz Leiber -- The Big Time (Also, any collection of his old short
stories.)

Robert Aspirin -- The Myth-adventure series.  (Cheesy, seemingly
inspired by Xanth, but fun and they end more quickly than the Xanth
books.)

Off the vein of SF/Fantasy I can recommend:

Carl Bernstein/Marco Politi -- His Holiness.  (A political bio of John
Paul II.  I'm still reading it, but it's really fascinating.)

Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, the
uncondensed version  (Churchill is a great writer, he doesn't draw his
material out interminably, and he gives you a great view of the gory
spectacle of British history.)

War and Peace, by Tolstoy  (This book is so long it has become a joke,
but it is truly a great story.  It will zip by once you get started.)

Wm. Somerset Maugham -- The Razor's Edge
Of Human Bondage (Somerset's reputation is
borderline between "Great" and "good".  These two books testify to his
greatness, and they're good to read, too.)

Hamlet -- (And not because Branagh has a new movie out.  When you have
trouble locating exactly what it is you want to read, pull this one
out of your box of old Lit. course books and settle down somewhere
quiet with your favorite beverage close at hand. You don't even need
to read it in a straight line, since after all you know the plot
already.  Just intone passages to yourself quietly and let the
language intoxicate you.....)

Happy Reading!
Marvin
marvin@fc.net

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From: rika kadonaga
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:43:19 -0800
Subject: I'm impressed.

This is by far the best sci-fi web-site I've had the honour of visiting!

I'm beyond impressed.  Stunned.

Please keep up the great work!

Something new to try?  Try out the Child Garden by Geoff Ryman.  He's a
British sci-fi writer.  The story is sort of Camus-esque, but he's a
great writer.

While perusing your list, I found many that I've also enjoyed reading,
as well as some that I haven't had the courage to try (can you believe I
actually had to be bullied into reading Orson Scott Card?).

Anyways, enough babble.  Keep up the excellent work!

Rika