From: Tony Gardner
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:56:31 +1000

Dear Doug,
        I write with an observation that distresses me. The proponents of the
art of science fiction seem to be dwindling to nothing. How would most
of us describe science fiction? Shall I describe it by what it is not?
Science fiction is not just "technology fiction" - a computer in a
wristwatch or a new type of gun, though it may be about the culture and
climate of thought which produces these things. It is not just about
meeting aliens (who probably rarely think exactly like humans or give a
damn for human imposed moralities), though it may be about a new mode of
thought. Finally it is certainly not just a story that happens to take
place in space, on another planet or the far future, though it may be
all of these.
        Having said that, I must say that I can't be an authority on what does
define science fiction. Even if I was, I can't pretend that my opinions
would be of any real value, but I submit that there are few authors
doing any real science fiction. In addition I propose that most of the
most successful popular science fiction are using a fantasy story
structure and simply making an alteration to the setting. (I include in
this all of the star wars books.)
        So what would I include as science fiction? Certainly the latest
Culture book from Ian M. Banks- "Excession" is an example of
technology's unexpected turns. It has aliens who are fundamentally
unknowable and a new discovery, which is not introduced by "aliens came
and gave it to me" or "I had a flash of genius", but a series of
suspicions which coalesce into an increasingly complete picture. The
cover art's quite nice too.
        David Zindell's first book in "A requiem for Homo Sapiens" (whose later
books I have previously recommended to you), "Neverness" is an explosion
of ideas and unexpected turns. It includes a group of pilots who make
their way through an otherspace by impressing their mathematical models
of the space onto itself. Thus, every mathematician's dream comes true-
raw mathematics being applicable to the real world. Quite good but not
as slick as the later volumes.
        As an alternative to this, something I would hesitate to call sci-fi:
"End of an era" by Robert J. Sawyer is a most amusing foray into one of
the more fantastic what-ifs for the end of the age of dinosaurs. Amusing
and well thought out, Sawyer leaves no end loose and some intellectual
satisfaction in the surprise ending of this book. My only criticism is
that this could have been a best-seller if he had spent another 10 years
polishing his writing style, as his dialogue especially is rough in a
couple of places.
        A new author in the pulp fantasy arena is JV Jones. Her first trilogy
"The Book of Words" (yes I groaned at the title too) is really not very
good as a whole. The first book in this- "Baker's boy" is her first
book, but the reason I am mentioning her is that the rate of increase in
her writing skill through the trilogy is incredible. In addition she has
managed to write a trilogy which is factually cohesive (if I may use
that phrase in this context). No loose ends, some good ideas and a good
grasp on the mechanics of writing. If I were her publisher I would be
congratulating myself for having signed a future heavyweight. A major
fault is the lack of emotion in her writing, but even so this one is
worth watching.
        May I also recommend "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. This
surprise entry in my list of good books, as historical fiction is not
normally my thing. This book distinguishes itself by not being about
anybody who is particularly good or wonderful and by not presenting the
European middle ages as being full of knights who rescue fair maidens.
It is mainly about the building of a cathedral (which took a long time
in those days) and includes mishaps like the first attempt falling down
due to a roof which is too heavy. It also has as a sideline the first
inklings of the attempts by French builders to use logic about loading
and stresses in their building designs instead of simply the dogma of
their guild and church. Definitely worth a look. I believe this has also
been recommended to you by at least one other person- but don't let that
stop you. It is also easy to come by cheap and second hand.
        Another author of whom you seem to be innocent is John le Carre. His
most famous book "The spy who came in from the cold", which you may have
read, is far from his best, though it may be the most tortuous plotwise.
His books are mostly cold war spy fiction. They tend to be well written
and numerous and cheap second hand.
        John Mortimer is another established author you seem to have missed.
his series of "Rumpole" books about the escapades of an eccentric lawyer
for the defence are humorous and light reading.
        Finally a word on the latest offerings by Eddings. Much as I hate to
pick at someone who does such a good job of condemning himself, David
Eddings is finally shooting away the last shreds of his credibility.
Having already told the same story four times, he does it again with the
releases of "Belgarath the sorcerer" and "Polgara the sorceress".
Nothing new here and the same problems in writing style. His publisher
should be lynched by the reading public for encouraging this twaddle.
Despite what one of your readers has said about his discussion on free
will vs predetermination (which I think is self delusion because he says
nothing original even in his first series), what is really being served
is the same predigested pap which people read only because they want to
be confirmed in their ill-considered opinions. In short- It's crap.
        Keep up the good work on the page, I always enjoy reading your comments
and those of your respondants.

                Tony Gardner
                Brisbane, Australia.